Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Back to the Grind

Hello everyone,

       It has been almost two years since this blog has been active and that really bothers me. God really put something on my heart I wanted to translate and I really do not think I did such a great job stewarding that vision or idea. But today is a new day and great things are happening in Charleston, SC. That being said the rest of this post is short, in order not to take up much time at all from you, and gives you a glimpse into what you can expect the rest of 2012 from "The Charleston Awakening."

   A brief history is warranted here I believe. The Charleston Awakening, or TCA, began as a way to communicate how the Lord has been moving spiritually in the city. Many people connected with a vision of unity I developed out of much prayer and devotion; that idea was simply to see the Christian community unite primarily at the collegiate level in Charleston. To those familiar with awakenings and revivals throughout the world, they almost all have there genesis in universities. Honestly I think God just knows that collegiate aged students are passionate, ready to get engaged in culture, and have no entangling commitments for the most part. So, my passionate heart sought out others who resonated with a desire to develop hearty, deep, Christian community, at the College of Charleston in particular, which showed the love of Christ to the university as a whole. We did this through worship events and other small venues which really did not take off, but, as I will get to in a moment, I think there was a purpose to that. Amazingly we had many people connecting in 2009 and 2010. However, some things prevented the growth of this vision.

     One, my commitment to a particular campus ministry prevented me stewarding this vision. This ministry did not support what God had put on my heart and I decided to submit myself to their mission, biblical and good. Although I regret letting this get in the way, I really did learn a ton through discipleship and submitting myself to another. That decision was a good one in that the experience was quite valuable in many ways (you can ask me if you'd like). A second contributor to the lack of growth was simply my youth and naivete. The lack of a mentor and devoted partners was followed by a lack of knowledge as to how and organize such an endeavor. Over the past two years I have learned valuable lessons and gained cherish-able knowledge on how to steward a vision and follow the Lord's leading. Lastly there was a lack of knowledge as to how the Holy Spirit was operating in various places around Charleston, which leads into the second to last part of this  blog.

    No matter how passionate someone is about sharing truth, love, and hope, all found in Christ, efforts will be in vain if one does not extend his mind, good character, and capacity to steward visions and people. These past four years have given me first hand knowledge as to how God is moving in various churches around the Charleston area, as well as what the city needs spiritually. Campus ministries like CRU suffer not from an outdated vision  but an out of date method as to how to disciple and engage. There are many CRU communities doing great things around the country and globe, and I have been so blessed to see that. However many campus ministries are suffering increasingly, not knowing how to engage students and focusing on  what Gabe Lyons would see as a misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the Gospel, namely not telling the full story. Our attempts at "making a difference" on campus have been terribly unsuccesfull due to perceived obsession with evangelism, being offended instead of provoked to change, and out of touch with non Christians thinking we must remove ourselves from this world. Our Christian communities on campus lack holistic, sound theology, become increasingly cliquey, and fail miserably to meet the needs of fellow students. That being said the Lord is shaking things up. Organic, passionate, restorers are on the rise as the Lord inspires action motivated solely by a love for ones fellow man. Two examples of this include a new ministry at the College of Charleston called "The Journey" and another which has existed at CofC and around the US for decades named "Intervarsity."

    These two ministries are quite different, but both share key similarities which will be mentioned not discussed. One, they are humble. So, each one knows that it is not the end all be all, the remnant of God's will, the last hope for mankind, etc. There overall mission is the same, namely to show students love and connect them to Christians so that they may grow holistically as a person. So it does not matter if this happens in either of the ministries as long as it is happening. There is so much to this, but we cannot dive into it here. Two, their leaders are devoted and focused on one campus. Many ministries have staff working on three locations and wonder why growth is not happening at the same time the staff is burnt out. No one can grow like this! Three, and lastly for today, they have genuine relationships with students and staff across the campus. Their existence and extension as a ministry is complimented by both being in good standing with the campus and their involvement in what the College of Charleston is about. They meet people where they are at instead of trying to lure others into their way of life.

   So, what can you expect from The Charleston Awakening. One, to share what God is doing on the College of Charleston campus and give commentary as to what effective campus ministry looks like. You will here what is going on in various ministries as they do events and engage. Hopefully you will hear of personal testimonies as long as people are willing to share. You can use this as a weekly update as to what new things are going on in the spiritual world around Charleston. Second, I pray we have more worship events. The goal is to develop a band devoted to creating an atmosphere of worship which students and visitors can connect with God and develop spiritually. Third, we pray this community will grow as we engage our culture where we are. May this be a place we can all share our stories, spread the word of God's love and restoration. God has destined us all to be stewards of His love, so let's do it together. This is my promise until I leave Charleston and this has run its course.

God bless you all! Stay connected, comment, share your stories to me by email so we can share them more, and, above all else, pray, asking the Lord to meet the needs of His people and develop a generation of restorers.

Most Sincerely,


~Alex Kirby

21 comments:

  1. Your grammar is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To come in future posts is more explanation on some of the claims made. If you want clarification on anything, write a comment and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An "Intervarsity" graduate.June 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

    This is kind of harsh against other ministries. Is it appropriate to speak so negatively about our brothers in christ? Your talking about unity but this sounds like division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the harsh part you claim? I am cool with you saying it, just let me know what you think is harsh so I can explain and we can discuss. Criticism is never easy to hear. Like I said, there are good things said about CRU too and I am still happy to see it and have been a part of it (if that is what you are referring to).

      Delete
    2. Division would be saying that a ministry is wrong and we don't like it and it needs to go away (for lack of a better term). This is a challenge with less than three fair criticisms and more than three sentences which commend. If you see division, is it possible you are not sure how to handle criticism? (just asking in general, not necessarily you personally)

      Delete
  4. Your local neighborhood atheistJune 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM

    You know I thought about going to see the wack jobs at Cru. Now I know why I won't thanks for the update Kirby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, well I think you may have misunderstood some of what I said. You raise an interesting point of view that I have heard a few times, namely the "wack job" phrase. Care to explain? I was a part of that ministry and still have friends there in various places, but I was always on the fringe and pushing the envelope. Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts (just try to be objective and respectful if possible). Thanks my "local neighborhood atheist."

      Delete
  5. all you christians are the same bickering among one another actin lik yo shit dont stank and pointin at the other guy why are you always fighting i dont get it redonkulous thats wat it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this is certainly not bickering. You missed the whole point of the post. I suggest you go back and read, think critically, open your mind, and reject your whole paradigm right now. Let's make worthwhile comments.

      Delete
    2. See its talk like that that proves my point you are so presumptuous you want to immediately reject me and you act lik you are so intelligent that you are smarter then all these other people you can just tell them how they are wrong and you are right or I am wrong and you are right granted i aint no scholar or somethin somethin and i didnt come into this with some great argument but thats cause your mind is already made up about me and about people even like you in other churches or whatever who you think you are smarter than who you can judge man... when you talk about startin somethin in chucktown and then you start dishin on other people dont no body wanna hear wat you got to say its sad really that instead a getting along with people you gotta point out they flaws to make you and your friends sound better and then say you just trying to help them man if thats help then leave me to suffer

      Delete
    3. Dude, I just asked you to read for what I really put down. There are two sentences of criticism in the whole thing. Where did I "dish" against someone? I am asking you. I am not rejecting you, but instead provoked you to make a comment with some more body to it instead of saying something as inflammatory as "all you christians are the same bickering among one another actin lik yo shit dont stank and pointin at the other guy why are you always fighting i dont get it redonkulous thats wat it is." I am glad you are commenting and want your objective opinion, not rash generalizations. Did you see all the positive things mentioned? If you say I am bickering, then please show me. I want you to comment. Just please don't think I am thinking I am better than you just because I don't agree or challenge you. Me challenging you is stimulating more conversation not rejecting you. Be provoked not offended.

      Delete
  6. Not cool yall... not all christians are like Campus crusade. Im just glad to see Im not the only ex-Cru member who thought that kurt morgan and brandon were fake as leaders. Thanks for standing up for the full gospel bro. Fight the good fight! Carry Conviction to those who have stepped away from the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the first sentence. We could say, "all Christians are different because they are all people and all people are unique." Also, don't get me wrong, I really like Kurt, Morgan, and Brandon. I was able to get to know Kurt quite well and he was very influential in my life. There are some things I certainly did not, and I am sure there are some experiences I can point out which could be said to show some "fakeness" but I am certainly not bashing people here at all. If anyone thinks that, go back and look at what I said is the purpose of the blog.

      Thanks for the commendments, or compliments. I appreciate it. Stay tuned in!

      Delete
  7. This whole conversation is messed up. Like for real in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How so? Let's make comments that have some meat to it. Thanks a bunch! SUBSTANTIATE

      Delete
  8. An "Intervarsity" graduateJune 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

    For anyone else who would comment on this page because they have read this blog post and are saying what the @#$%^????? The best way to deal with stupid people like this is to ignore him like he doesn't exist and move on. Your just building up his ego and I think he has proven that its big enough as it is. Just stop commenting turn around and go the other direction. Let him go "awaken" himself.. alone..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you just address me? You love to comment, but would you like to actually discuss? I respect your original point and asked you to simply let me know what you think is so harsh. I WANT YOUR POV but you are not giving anything but a "go screw yourself." If that's it then yeah, follow your advice and stop commenting. If you want to have a discussion, let's do it. There's no ego, just someone who wants to raise some points and gain perspective. Come on bro (or sista)!

      Delete
  9. Hey Alex- just wanted to shoot some encouragement your way. I see your heart for worship, and for truth, your desire to reach out humbly and effectively. I think that demonstrates the work of the Spirit in you. It is hard for me to know how much of your understanding of discipleship and ecclesiology I agree/disagree with, but honestly I'm not too worried. God has a way of straightening out the paths of those who are submitted to Him. Keep walking in grace and pursuing the Spirit. I look forward to hearing you flesh out more of your thoughts, wherever they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brother, I appreciate it. Thank you for giving it a good read and some honest constructive feedback. I did not get into a lot of specifics either here, so who knows...we could agree a lot. We'll see. Stay in touch and I hope you keep reading and contributing. God bless sir.

      Delete
  10. A lot of people are being critical. True or false, criticism for Alex should be directed to Alex himself privately and not to the internet in general(and spoken in love).

    General criticism on the internet is unlikely to by edifying and will likely just inflame passions. This is especially true when written anonymously.

    Matthew 18:15-18

    ReplyDelete